How To Identify And Get Rid Of Dangerous Spiders Around Your Atlanta Home
October 10, 2022
Living in the south has its advantages and disadvantages. One benefit is short, mild winters with little to no snow. On the other hand, our warm climate creates a paradise for many pests such as spiders. Not only do we have to coexist with spiders, but we have our share of dangerous spiders.
Although most spiders are not dangerous, most of us avoid them because we cannot distinguish between the two, and most of us don't want to take the time to find out! Instead of taking a risk with spiders in your home, get the best pest control in Atlanta, Squash A Bug Pest Control. Our highly-trained technicians will use their average of 10+ years of pest control experience to eliminate spiders from your home.
How To Identify The Two Dangerous Spiders In Atlanta
There are two venomous spider species in the Atlanta area, and it is wise to learn how to identify them. Here are the two species and their features:
- Black widow: These spiders have a round, shiny black body with a bright red hourglass marking on the underside of the abdomen. Black widows are 1 1/2 to 1 3/8 inches long and have eight legs and eight eyes. They build messy webs near the ground level in dry, dark areas of the house like the garage, basement, and crawl space.
- Brown recluse: These spiders have a round, brown body with a darker violin-shaped marking on the back. They are smaller than a brown recluse and measure 1/4 to 1/2 inches long. Brown recluses build irregular webs in warm, dry, secluded storage areas in basements, closets, garages, and attics.
Take precautions if you are working in areas where these dangerous spiders tend to live.
The Side Effects Of Being Bitten By A Dangerous Spider
Many spider species inflict a painful bite, but bites by these venomous spiders in Atlanta can have serious consequences. A black widow bite is usually from the female trying to protect her nest, resulting in increased blood pressure, fever, nausea, and sweating. Symptoms from the wound peak within three hours; residual pain may continue for up to three days.
Although it is a tiny arachnid, bites from brown recluse spiders in Atlanta pack a powerful punch! Symptoms from a brown recluse bite may be immediate or delayed several hours, but when they appear, they consist of fever, difficulty sleeping, and restlessness. The venom from the spider attacks tissue and may result in an open ulcer that, if left untreated, may eat tissue to the bone. The wound inflicted creates a blister and causes swelling at the bite site.
How To Safely Get Rid Of Dangerous Spiders On Your Property
The best way to get rid of spiders on your Atlanta property is to use our professionals from Squash A Bug Pest Control. Because insects attract spiders, a spider invasion on your property indicates an insect infestation. Our highly-trained technicians will evaluate your property to determine the cause of the spider infestation and develop a custom treatment plan to eradicate the pests and their nests. Remember, it is not enough to kill the spiders you can see; you must eliminate the next generation and their breeding sites.
How To Prevent Future Dangerous Spider Problems
Here are some action steps you can perform in conjunction with Squash A Bug Pest Control to stop future infestations:
- Remove debris from your property
- Declutter the garage, basement, and attic
- Replace cardboard storage boxes with sealable plastic containers
- Dehumidify the basement, attic, and crawlspace
- Replace exterior lights with bug lights
- Limit the use of outdoor lights at night
- Repair window and door screens
- Seal cracks around pipes and wires coming into the house
- Keep garbage cans inside and outside the home closed
- Clean the house regularly
Good sanitation, reducing areas of high moisture, and allowing Squash A Bug Pest Control to create a pest barrier around your Atlanta home will prevent a future infestation. Contact us today for your free quote.
What Our Customers Are Saying
"My overall experience with your company was very good. They were on time and professional. They did good work and answered all questions we had. From the first point of contact with your company, we have had a good experience. Great customer service. We will use them in the future and highly recommend them!"
Contact Squash A Bug Today!(770) 762-6428
Our friendly and helpful team is available to answer any questions you may have, and ready to get you started on having a pest-free property.