Atlanta Homeowners' Guide To All Things Spider Control
March 30, 2023
Unless you have recently moved to Atlanta, you already know we have a lot of insects and spiders in our area. Spiders in Georgia are beneficial because they help control insect populations. However, if you see spiders everywhere in your home or some you think might be venomous, it’s a good idea to contact an Atlanta pest control company for help with identification and removal.
Read on to learn more about the most common spiders in Atlanta and which types cause concern. We’ll review some tips for keeping them out of your house and the best way to get rid of spiders for good.
The Types Of Spiders You May Find In Atlanta
Here are the most common spiders in Georgia and some descriptions to help you identify them:
- Common house spiders are the most likely culprits to invade homes. They range in size between 3/16 and 5/16 of an inch in length and are yellowish brown.
- Black widow spiders are easy to recognize because of their shiny black bodies with a red hourglass shape on their abdomens.
- Brown recluse spiders are brown spiders that are 1/4 to 1/2 an inch in length. They have a distinct dark brown violin shape on their backs.
Most of the spiders found in homes are harmless house spiders. Still, if you see numerous spiders or potentially dangerous types, we suggest you contact a professional company to help with removal.
Are All Spider Bites Dangerous?
All types of spiders have venom, though most are harmless to humans. Common house spiders rarely bite unless they feel threatened. Generally, their venom is not dangerous, but some people have allergic reactions, so we recommend that you monitor any spider bites.
Black widow spiders have potent venom that can cause serious health problems. A bite from a black widow should be seen by medical personnel immediately. While their venom is not usually fatal, it can cause pain, fever, nausea, and increased blood pressure. Black widow spiders rarely bite except in self-defense.
Take caution if you suspect brown recluse spiders in your home. Disturbing one of these spiders or making them feel threatened will provoke a bite. A bite from a brown recluse is not fatal, but its venom can cause tissue to die and an ulcerating sore. Their bite sites are very slow to heal and can leave behind dense scar tissue.
Tips For Keeping Spiders Out Of Your House
The following are some tips for keeping most spiders found in homes outside where they belong:
- Reduce the clutter in your home, especially in areas with less foot traffic, like garages, basements, and crawl spaces.
- Seal any cracks around your house with silicone-based caulk.
- Check all windows and doors to be sure they properly close and that screens are intact.
- You can prevent all types of spiders from entering your home by working with a pest control company to reduce the insect population on your property.
While most spiders in Georgia are harmless, taking precautions to keep them out can save you a lot of stress.
Professional Pest Control Is The Best Way To Keep Spiders Out
Most spiders in Georgia are harmless and even beneficial, provided they stay outside. But if you see spiders everywhere or some that may be dangerous to handle, it is time to contact a local company like Squash A Bug Pest Control.
Our service techs know the best ways to get rid of spiders and how to keep them from coming back. Contact us today for your free quote to eliminate spiders and the insects that attract them from your home and property.
What Our Customers Are Saying
"My overall experience with your company was very good. They were on time and professional. They did good work and answered all questions we had. From the first point of contact with your company, we have had a good experience. Great customer service. We will use them in the future and highly recommend them!"
Contact Squash A Bug Today!(770) 762-6428
Our friendly and helpful team is available to answer any questions you may have, and ready to get you started on having a pest-free property.